Microbial and Biochemical Pharmacy —— Pharmacology
Education & ResearchExperience
August 2001 - December 2004: Ph.D., Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College, Beijing;
August 1995 – July 1998: Master of Medicine, Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai;
August 1990 – July 1995: Bachelor of Medicine, Shanghai Medical University, Shanghai.
2014 - present: Research professor in the Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2008 - 2013: Associate research professor in the Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences;
2005 - 2007: Research assistant in the Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences;
Molecular medicine and drug research
Dr. Kong has been engaged in the study of molecular mechanisms, signaling network, as well as chemical biology of natural products in the treatment of chronic diseases such as metabolic disorders. His research interests include (1) The molecular mechanisms and signaling network in the treatment of chronic diseases such as lipid/sugar metabolic disorders, cardiovascular diseases and inflammatory diseases; (2) Screening, efficacy study, and mechanism study of matrinic derivatives in improving glucose metabolism and treatment of diabetes; (3) Research and development of Tianma and gastrodin in the improvement of hyperlipidemia, fatty liver, and gout.
1. Kong W, Wei J, Abidi P, Lin M, Inaba S, Li C, Wang Y, Wang Z, Si S, Pan H,Wang S, Wu J, Wang Y, Li Z, Liu J, Jiang JD. Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a unique mechanism distinct from statins. Nat Med.2004 ;10(12):1344-51.
2. Tang S, Wang C, Li YH, Niu TY, Zhang YH, Pang YD, Wang YX, Kong WJ, Song DQ.Structure-activity relationship and hypoglycemic activity of tricyclic matrines with advantage of treating diabetic nephropathy. Eur J Med Chem. 2020;201:112315.
3. Kong WJ, Vernieri C, Foiani M, Jiang JD. Berberine in the treatment of metabolism-related chronic diseases: A drug cloud (dCloud) effect to target multifactorial disorders. Pharmacol Ther. 2020;209:107496.
4. Li YH, Yang P, Kong WJ, Wang YX, Hu CQ, Zuo ZY, Wang YM, Gao H, Gao LM, Feng YC, Du NN, Liu Y, Song DQ, Jiang JD. Berberine analogues as a novel class of the low-density-lipoprotein receptor up-regulators: synthesis, structure-activity relationships, and cholesterol-lowering efficacy. J Med Chem. 2009;52(2):492-501
5. Dai W, He W, Shang G, Jiang J, Wang Y, Kong W. Gene silencing of myofibrillogenesis regulator-1 by adenovirus-delivered small interfering RNA suppresses cardiac hypertrophy induced by angiotensin II in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010 ;299(5):H1468-75.
Awards and Honors :(2012)Second prize of the “National Natural Science Award”, 4th winner.