Microbial and Biochemical Pharmacy —— Microbiology
Department：Laboratory for Screening New Microbial Drugs
Tel: (8610) 63165277
Education & Research Experience
2019/09-Now: Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College
2015/10-2019/09: Associate Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College
2014/10- 2015/10: Visiting Scholar, School of Chemistry, University of St Andrews, UK
2012/10-2014/09: Associate Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College
2008/09-2011/9: Research Associate, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College
2005/09 – 2008/07: Ph.D. in Medicinal Chemistry, Peking Union Medical College
2002/09 – 2005/07: M.Sc. in Medicinal Chemistry, Jiangxi University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Microbial natural product chemistry
Natural Product Discovery. Dr. Gan’s research centers on discovery and development of new medicinally valuable compounds from microorganisms, particularlly marine and terrestrial actinomycetes and fungi from special ecological enviroments. The identification of new antibiotics against drug-resistant-pathogens is the major focus. We isolate and identify the bioactive compounds using a methodology of dereplication of natural products by combing chemical LC-UV-MS and bioinformatics.
Genomic Mining and Biosynthesis of Microbial Natural Products. Genomics revealed that many microorganisms have far greater potential to produce a variety of metabolites than have been discovered by traditional bioactivity-based screening approaches. Many biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs) are not expressed or silent under standard laboratory conditions. Our second research interest focuses on eliciting the expression of these cryptic BGCs by using genetic, chemical and ecological methods for the discovery of novel bioactive metabolites, and elucidating the biosythetic pathway of novel bioactive natural products.
Selected Publications # contributed equally; * corresponding author
1. Xiangjian Zhong#, Xin Wang#, Na Zhou, Jinjie Li, Jiachen Liu, Jianyu Yue, Xiaomeng Hao, Maoluo Gan*, Pengcheng Lin, Xiaoya Shang*. Chemical characterization of the polar antibacterial fraction of the ethanol extract from Rosmarinus officinalis. Food Chem. 2021, 344, 128674.
2. Jin-Yao Yong#, Wen-Rui Li#, Xiao-jing Wang, Guo-Zhu Su, Mi Li, Jian-Pei Zhang, Hong-Li Jia, Yu-Huan Li, Ru-Bing Wang*, Maoluo Gan*, Shuang-Gang Ma*. Illihenin A: An Antiviral Sesquiterpenoid with a Cage-like Tricyclo[6.2.2.01,5]dodecane Skeleton from Illicium henryi. J. Org. Chem. 2021, 86, 2017-2022.
3. Jiao Li#, Minghua Chen#, Xiaomeng Hao#, Shasha Li, Fang Li, Liyan Yu, Chunling Xiao, Maoluo Gan*. Structural Revision and Absolute Configuration of Burnettramic Acid A. Org. Lett. 2020, 22, 98-101.
4. Xiaomeng Hao, Jiaqing Yu, Yujia Wang, Jack A. Connolly, Yufeng Liu, Yuqin Zhang, Liyan Yu, Shan Cen*, Rebecca J. M. Goss*, Maoluo Gan*. Zelkovamycins B–E, Cyclic Octapeptides Containing Rare Amino Acid Residues from an Endophytic Kitasatospora sp. Org. Lett. 2020, 22, 9346–9350.
5. Xinran Qiao#, Maoluo Gan#, Chen Wang, Bin Liu, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shuzhen Chen*. Tetracenomycin X Exerts Antitumour Activity in Lung Cancer Cells through the Downregulation of Cyclin D1. Mar. Drugs 2019, 17, 63.
6. Jiao Li#, Yuanyuan Hu#, Xiaomeng Hao, Jiali Tan, Fang Li, Xinran Qiao, Shuzhen Chen, Chunling Xiao, Minghua Chen*, Zonggen Peng*, Maoluo Gan*. Raistrickindole A, an Anti-HCV Oxazinoindole Alkaloid from Penicillium raistrickii IMB17-034. J. Nat. Prod. 2019, 82, 1391-1395.
7. Minghua Chen#, Renzhong Wang#, Wuli Zhao, Liyan Yu, Conghui Zhang, Shanshan Chang, Yan Li, Tao Zhang, Jianguo Xing, Maoluo Gan*, Feng Feng*, Shuyi Si*. Isocoumarindole A, a Chlorinated Isocoumarin and Indole Alkaloid Hybrid Metabolite from an Endolichenic Fungus Aspergillus sp. Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 1530-1533.
8. Christopher S. Bailey, Joseph Zarins Tutt, Mathias Onyebuchi Agbo, Hong Gao, Alberto Diego-Taboada, Maoluo Gan, Refaat B. Hamed, Emily Abraham, Grahame Mackenzie, P. Andrew Evans, Rebecca Jane Miriam Goss. A Natural Solution to Photoprotection and Isolation of the Potent Polyene Antibiotic, Marinomycin A. Chemical Science 2019, 10, 7549-7553.
9. Bin Liu#, Jiao Li#, Minghua Chen, Xiaomeng Hao, Fei Cao, Yi Tan, Yuhui Ping, Yiguang Wang, Chunling Xiao, Maoluo Gan*. Seco-Tetracenomycins from the Marine-Derived Actinomycete Saccharothrix sp. 10-10. Mar. Drugs 2018, 16, 345.
10. Yuanyuan Hu#, Mian Wang#, Chunyan Wu, Yi Tan, Jiao Li, Xiaomeng Hao, Yanbo Duan, Yan Guan, Xiaoya Shang, Yiguang Wang, Chunling Xiao, Maoluo Gan*. Identification and proposed relative and absolute configurations of niphimycins C–E from the marine-derived Streptomyces sp. IMB7-145 by genomic analysis. J. Nat. Prod. 2018, 81, 178-187.
11. Qiang Wang, Yixuan Zhang, Mian Wang, Yi Tan, Xinxin Hu, Hongwei He, Chunling Xiao, Xuefu You, Yiguang Wang, Maoluo Gan*. Neo-actinomycins A and B, natural actinomycins bearing the 5H-oxazolo[4,5-b]phenoxazine chromophore, from the marine-derived Streptomyces sp. IMB094. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 3591.
12. Yi Tan, Yuanyuan Hu, Qiang Wang, Hongxia Zhou, Yiguang Wang, Maoluo Gan*. Tetrocarcins N and O, glycosidic spirotetronates from a marine-derived Micromonospora sp. identified by PCR-based screening. RSC Advances 2016, 6, 91773-91778.
13. Maoluo Gan#,*, Bin Liu, Yi Tan#, Qiang Wang, Hongxia Zhou, Hongwei He, Yuhui Ping, Zhaoyong Yang, Yiguang Wang, Chunling Xiao*. Saccharothrixones A–D, Tetracenomycin-Type Polyketides from the Marine-Derived Actinomycete Saccharothrix sp. 10-10. J. Nat. Prod. 2015, 78, 2260-2265.
14.Chunyan Wu, Yi Tan, Maoluo Gan*, Yiguang Wang, Yan Guan, Xinxin Hu, Hongxia Zhou, Xiaoya Shang, Xuefu You, Zhaoyong Yang, Chunling Xiao. Identification of elaiophylin derivatives from the marine-derived actinomycete Streptomyces sp. 7-145 using PCR-based screening. J. Nat. Prod. 2013, 76, 2153-2157.
15. Maoluo Gan, Yufeng Liu, Yinlei Bai, Yan Guan, Li Li, Rongmei Gao, Weiying He, Xuefu You, Yuhuan Li, Liyan Yu, Chunling Xiao. Polyketides with New Delhi Metallo-β-lactamase 1 Inhibitory Activity from Penicillium sp. J. Nat. Prod. 2013, 76, 1535-1540.
Awards and Honors
2014: Visiting Scholar Fellowship awarded by China Scholarship Council
2015: Chinese Pharmaceutical Association & Sanofi Biomedicine Young Scientist Award
Member of the Committee on Marine Phamacology of Chinese Pharmacological Society
Member of Chinese Chemical Society
Member of Chinese Pharmaceutical Association