Microbial and Biochemical Pharmacy —— Microbiology
Department：Department of Biological Engineering
Education & Research Experience
2017/09-Present Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2012/08-2014/04 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
2011/09-2017/08 Associate Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2007/09-2011/08 Assistant Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2004/09-2007/07 Ph.D. in Microbial and Biochemical Pharmacy, Peking Union Medical College
Research Field：Microbial products, Synthetic biology
Dr. Bai has been committed to the research of microbial products, especially those of Streptomycetes origins. With the help of whole genome sequencing and transcriptomic analysis, he has been able to demonstrate the molecular mechanism of DasRABC-regulated biosynthesis of exopolysaccharides (EPSs), which is for the first time in this field. He has developed a genetically engineered Streptomyces strain with high yield of an EPS Ebosin. Furthermore, using synthetic biology approaches, e.g., functional element re-design, a series of novel sugar derivatives have been developed. In recent years, as the development of Bai Lab, his research interests have been expanded to the genome-guided discovery of novel peptide antibiotics, as well as the mechanism of their biosynthesis. For now, research interests can be divided into the following aspects:
1.Structural modification of Streptomycetes-origin natural products, e.g,. Ebosin and Nystatin, using synthetic biology approaches.
2. Rational design and utilization of key biosynthetic enzymes of microbial natural products.
3. Genome-guided discovery of novel peptide antibiotics and synthetic modifications of them.
1. Lin Y#, Bai L#, Cupello S, Hossain MA, Deem B, McLeod M, Raj J, Yan S*. APE2 promotes DNA damage response pathway from a single-strand break. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018, 46(5):2479-2494.
2. Ai L, Liu J, Jiang Y, Guo W, Wei P*, Bai L*.Specific PCR method for detection of species origin in biochemical drugs via primers for the ATPase 8 gene by electrophoresis. Microchimica Acta. 2019, 186(9):634.
3. Ai L, Guo W, Chen W, Teng Y*, Bai L*. The gal80 Deletion by CRISPR-Cas9 in Engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae Produces Artemisinic Acid without Galactose Induction. Curr Microbiol. 2019, 76(11):1313-1319.
4. Zhao X#, Qi X#, Lian W, Tong X, Wang H, Su L, Wei P, Zhuang Z, Gong J*, Bai L*. Trichomicin Suppresses Colorectal Cancer via Comprehensive Regulation of IL-6 and TNFα in Tumor Cells, TAMs, and CAFs. Front Pharmacol. 2020, 11:386.
5. Guo W#, Xu F#, Zhuang Z, Liu Z, Xie J*, Bai L*. Ebosin ameliorates psoriasis-like inflammation of mice via miR-155 targeting tnfaip3 on IL-17 pathway. Front Immunol. 2021, 12:662362.
Awards and Honors
The second prize of the 9th Latest Research Achievements of Young Scientists in the Pharmaceutical Field in China, Chinese Pharmaceutical Association, 2008.
Editorial board member of Chinese Journal of Drug Evaluation.
Member of Committee of Enzyme Engineering and Fermentation Engineering, China Medicinal Biotech Association.