Microbial and Biochemical Pharmacy —— Pharmacology
Education & Research
2013/10-Now Full Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2008/10-2013/09 Associate Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2004/08-2008/07 Assistant Professor, Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
2006/03-2008/04 Postdoctoral Fellow, Winship Cancer Center, Emory University, USA
2001/08-2004/07 Ph.D. in oncology, Peking Union Medical College
Tumor pharmacology and molecular immunology, including molecular pharmacology, apoptosis, cell signaling pathway, protein and protein interaction, and biotechnology drug research.
1. Research on biomarkers and drug targets.
2. Tumor microenvironments in invasion and metastasis of tumor.
3. Study & development of anticancer drugs including antitumor antibiotic and antitumor biotechnological drugs.
4. Regulation of the expression of death receptors, particularly TRAIL receptors, by small therapeutic molecules and their implications in drug-induced apoptosis and cancer therapy.
5. Modulation of chemosensitivity of anticancer drugs by biochemical modulators.
1. Jun Ni, Xiaofei Wang, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shu-zhen Chen*. CD13 inhibition augments DR4-induced tumor cell death in a p-ERK1/2-independent manner. Cancer Biol Med, 2021, 12: j.issn.2095-3941.2020.0196.
2. Zhijuan Ge, Dong Liu, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shu-zhen Chen*. Magnolol inhibits myotube atrophy induced by cancer cachexia through myostatin signaling pathway in vitro. J Nat Med. 2020, 74(4):741-749.
3. Wendie Wang, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shu-zhen Chen*. Honokiol Inhibits Breast Cancer Cell Metastasis by Blocking EMT through Modulation of Snail/Slug Protein Translation. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2019, 40(9): 1219-1227.
4. Dong Liu, Xinran Qiao, Zhijuan Ge, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Wendie Wang, Minghua Chen, Shuyi Si, Shu-zhen Chen*. IMB0901 inhibits muscle atrophy induced by cancer cachexia through MSTN signaling pathway. Skelet Muscle, 2019, 9: 8.
5. Xinran Qiao, Maoluo Gan, Chen Wang, Bin Liu, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shuzhen Chen*. Tetracenomycin X Exerts Antitumour Activity in Lung Cancer Cells through the Downregulation of Cyclin D1. Mar Drugs, 2019, 17(1): 63.
6. Xinran Qiao, Xiaofei Wang, Yue Shang, Yi Li, Shu-zhen Chen*. Azithromycin enhances anticancer activity of TRAIL by inhibiting autophagy and up-regulating the protein levels of DR4/5 in colon cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Commun (Lond). 2018, 38(1): 43.
7. Xiaofei Wang, Xinran Qiao, Yue Shang, Shenghua Zhang, Yi Li, Hongwei He, Shu-zhen Chen*. RGD and NGR modified TRAIL protein exhibited potent anti-metastasis effects on TRAIL-insensitive cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Amino Acids. 2017,49(5), 931-941
8. Xiaoqin Lv, Xinran Qiao, Ling Su, Shu-zhen Chen*. Honokiol inhibits EMT-mediated motility and migration of human non-small cell lung cancer cells in vitro by targeting c-FLIP. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2016, 37(12): 1574-1586
9. Daqiang Zhu, Xiaofei Wang, Yue Shang , Yi Li, Wenguo Jiang, Liang Li, Shu-zhen Chen*. A bispecific fusion protein and a bifunctional enediyne-energized fusion protein consisting of TRAIL, EGFR peptide ligand, and apoprotein of lidamycin against EGFR and DR4/5 show potent antitumor activity. Anticancer Drugs. 2015, 26(1): 64-73.
10. Fang Liu, Yue Shang, Shu-zhen Chen*. Chloroquine potentiates the anti-cancer effect of lidamycin on non-small cell lung cancer cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2014, 35(5): 645-652.
11. Shuzhen Chen, Wei Cao, Ping Yue, Chunhai Hao, Fadlo R Khuri, Shi-Yong Sun. Celecoxib promotes c-FLIP degradation through Akt-independent inhibition of GSK3. Cancer Res, 2011, 71(19): 6270-6281.
12. Chunyang Li#, Shuzhen Chen#, Ping Yue, Xingming Deng, Sagar Lonial,1 Fadlo R. Khuri, and Shi-Yong Sun. The Proteasome Inhibitor PS-341 (Bortezomib) Induces Calpain-dependent IBα Degradation. J Biol Chem, 2010, 285(21):16096-104. (Co-first author)
13. Shuzhen Chen, Lei Fu, Shruti M Raja, Ping Yue, Fadlo R Khuri, Shi-Yong Sun. Dissecting the roles of DR4, DR5 and c-FLIP in the regulation of geranylgeranyltransferase I inhibition-mediated augmentation of TRAIL-induced apoptosis. Mol Cancer, 2010, 9:23.
14. Shruti M. Raja#, Shuzhen Chen#, Ping Yue, Timothy M. Acker, Benjamin Lefkove, Jack Arbiser, Fadlo R. Khuri, and Shi-Yong Sun. c-FLIP Degradation as a Key Event for the Natural Product Honokiol and Its Derivatives to Modulate Death Receptor-induced Apoptosis. Mol Cancer Ther, 2008, 7(7):2212-2223 (Co-first author).
15. Shuzhen Chen, Xiangguo Liu, Ping Yue, Axel H. Scho¨ nthal, Fadlo R. Khuri, and Shi-Yong Sun. CCAAT/Enhancer Binding Protein Homologous Protein-Dependent Death Receptor 5 Induction and Ubiquitin/Proteasome-Mediated Cellular FLICE-Inhibitory Protein Down-Regulation Contribute to Enhancement of Tumor Necrosis Factor-Related Apoptosis-Inducing Ligand-Induced Apoptosis by Dimethyl-Celecoxib in Human Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer Cells. Mol Pharmacol, 2007, 72(5):1269-1279.
16. Shuzhen Chen, Min Jiang and Yongsu Zhen. HERG K+ channel expression related chemosensitivity in cancer cells and its modulation by erythromycin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 2005, 56(2): 212-20.
Awards and Honors
1. Keganliyan Oral Liquid has obtained the new drug certificate in 1998, participant
2. Research on the new drug of Keganliyan Oral Liquid and its immune-free radical mechanism of its anti-influenza virus effect, Second Prize of Technological Progress in Traditional Chinese Medicine, China Academy of Chinese Medicine in 1998; Third Prize of Technological Progress of Beijing Municipality in 2001; Main Participant
3. HERG potassium channel-related anti-tumor drugs chemosensitivity, the "Zhen Yongsu Youth Science and Technology Award" at the 18th "May 4th" Youth Paper Conference of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology in 2003, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
4. The molecular targets of tea polyphenols and their role in the experimental treatment of anti-tumor drugs. In 2015, the 8th Outstanding Paper Award of " Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica" (Chinese Edition)
5. In 2016 and 2017, the title of Excellent Reviewer of the Chinese Journal of Pharmaceuticals in 2015 and 2016, respectively.
1. Editorial board member of "Chinese Journal of Cancer Prevention and Treatment"
2. English editor and reviewer of "China Medical Biotechnology"
3. Reviewer of "Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica"
4. Member of the Ninth Editorial Committee of "Foreign Medicines and Antibiotics"
5. Member of the Anti-Cancer Drug Professional Committee of the China Anti-Cancer Association since 2008
6. Member of the Drug Clinical Professional Committee of China Pharmaceutical industry Research and Development Association （Sino-PhIRDA）since 2015.
7. Member of the Oncology Pharmacology Committee of the Chinese Pharmacological Society since 2014
8. Member of the Committee of Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences of JiuSan Society 2013-2018
9. Deputy Chairman of the Senior Health Professional Committee of Beijing Health Education Association 2019